Black Spanish Radishes belong to the root vegetable category and is part of the winter radish variety along with Watermelon Radish and Chinese Red Heart Radish.
Although your typical red radishes are fairly mild and slightly sweet, that is not the case with Black Spanish radishes. These black beauties have a more intense peppery flavor and although the skin looks tough, it is actually quite tender and does not need to be peeled.
Check out a couple of recipes below:
Buttered Black Radish
• 1-3 Black Spanish Radishes
• 2 tbsp salted butter
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat up pan on medium heat, add butter.
2. Peel radishes (either peel clean, or peel it in stripes of black and white, for a pretty effect!).
3. Slice into ¼- ½ inch slices and sautee in the butter, sprinkling salt and pepper over the slices.
4. Cook until light browned and flip, cooking the other sides until slightly browned and tender.
Black Radish Salad with Pickled Kumquats
• 2 Tablespoons good olive oil
• 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
• Juice and zest from 1 lime
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Black pepper
• 1 bag-full of arugula
• 1/4c pickled kumquat slices
• 2 black spanish radishes, sliced thinly (a mandolin works best)
• 1/4 cup roasted pistachio nuts
• 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
To make the dressing, put the first seven ingredients into a jar with a lid. Shake the contents of the jar until the ingredients are combined and then taste to adjust the seasoning.
Place the arugula in a large salad bowl and sprinkle the remaining ingredients on top. When ready to serve, drizzle the dressing on top and toss the salad lightly to coat.
Black Radish Chips
• 1 lb. black radishes
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Scrub the black radishes well, then slice them thinly (a mandoline works best)
3. Toss them in a bowl with the olive oil and salt so that all the slices are coated
4. Spread the radish slices in a single layer on two baking sheets
5. Bake the radish chips about 20 minutes or until they are brown in spots and getting dry and crisp
6. Remove from the baking sheets and sprinkle on more salt if desired. Serve immediately.